A small elongated marine fish that lives in shallow waters of the northern hemisphere, often found burrowing in the sand.
- Family Ammodytidae: several genera and species, including the European Ammodytes tobianus
More example sentences
- As the sand eel fleet fishes entirely for industrial purposes, none of the fish will be consumed by humans and thousands of tonnes of white fish is being reduced to fish-meal on a daily basis, adding to the ongoing cod crisis in the North Sea.
- Over-fishing of the birds' primary food source, the sand eel, is being blamed for the huge fall in numbers from 83,000 kittiwake 13 years ago to roughly 49,000 at present.
- Regarding flies, the sea trout you are hunting is a highly efficient ocean predator used to chasing sand eel, smaller fish fry and crustacea.
More definitions of sand eelDefinition of sand eel in:
- The British & World English dictionary