Definition of sandhill crane in English:
A chiefly migratory North American crane with grayish plumage and a red crown.
- Grus canadensis, family Gruidae
- Two species are native to North America, the whooping crane and the sandhill crane (G. canadensis).
- With the Mississippi sandhill crane breeding facility in operation for seven years, the Audubon facility has proven that dwindling crane populations can be boosted through a combination of artificial insemination and hand-rearing.
- The ‘Marshland Elegy’ chapter of Sand County ends with an epitaph to the sandhill crane.
Definition of sandhill crane in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan