Definition of sandwort in English:
A widely distributed low-growing plant of the pink family, typically having small white flowers and growing in dry sandy ground.
- Arenaria and other genera, family Caryophyllaceae
- Over 160 different vascular plants have been recorded at Winskill Stones including noteworthy species such as spring sandwort, horseshoe vetch, meadow saxifrage, mossy saxifrage, mountain everlasting and moonwort.
- Among these are nailwort, slender mountain sandwort, rock jasmine, and alpine primrose.
- The altogether fetching, ground-hugging alpine forget-me-nots are at their peak in mid-July (followed closely by such charmers as alpine sandwort, mouse ear, and rockjasmine).
Definition of sandwort in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan