Definition of sandwort in English:
A widely distributed low-growing plant of the pink family, typically having small white flowers and growing in dry sandy ground.
- Arenaria and other genera, family Caryophyllaceae
- Over 160 different vascular plants have been recorded at Winskill Stones including noteworthy species such as spring sandwort, horseshoe vetch, meadow saxifrage, mossy saxifrage, mountain everlasting and moonwort.
- Among these are nailwort, slender mountain sandwort, rock jasmine, and alpine primrose.
- The altogether fetching, ground-hugging alpine forget-me-nots are at their peak in mid-July (followed closely by such charmers as alpine sandwort, mouse ear, and rockjasmine).
Definition of sandwort in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.