noun (plural sanitariums or sanitaria /-ˈte(ə)rēə/)North American
- An establishment for the medical treatment of people who are convalescing or have a chronic illness.More example sentences
- Hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, sanitariums, and orphanages were all a part of the network of care for the immigrants.
- Some thought it to be such a bizarre design for a residential neighborhood, it was mistaken for a sanitarium or hospital.
- Nuns also provided cheap personnel for preschools, infirmaries, sanitariums, asylums, soup kitchens, and orphanages, especially in the North.
mid 19th century: pseudo-Latin, from Latin sanitas 'health'.
More definitions of sanitariumDefinition of sanitarium in:
- The British & World English dictionary