Definition of sans-culotte in English:
1A lower-class Parisian republican in the French Revolution.
- For the urban poor and even respectable tradesmen, hunger was never far away and during the French Revolution the Parisian sans-culottes had a national maximum for prices as one of their principal political goals.
- While the French Revolution politicized the sans-culottes, the Industrial Revolution industrialized them.
- Proposals were initially made to revise the Constitution of 1793 but, in the wake of abortive uprisings by the Parisian sans-culottes in the spring of 1795, a fresh document was devised instead.
1.1An extreme republican or revolutionary.
- Along with sans-culotte politics came revolutionary tactics.
- The statement's adoption was in line with the republican movement's calculated agenda to get into power on both sides of the border as an electoral avenue towards a united Ireland with a Sinn Féin sans-culotte hue.
- Neither was it a Rousseauist abstraction, but a body of angry sans-culottes protesting against the recession and tax increases.
- Example sentences
- Herbert, he argues, had difficulties in adopting a clear attitude to two currents predominant during the year II - sans-culottism and Jacobinism.
- We wish to know if a cultural, a literary sans-culottism is possible, except with chaos as a goal.
French, literally 'without breeches'.
Words that rhyme with sans-culotteallot, begot, Bernadotte, blot, bot, capot, clot, cocotte, cot, culotte, dot, forgot, garrotte (US garrote), gavotte, got, grot, hot, jot, knot, lot, Mayotte, motte, not, Ott, outshot, plot, pot, rot, Scot, Scott, shallot, shot, slot, snot, sot, spot, squat, stot, swat, swot, tot, trot, undershot, Wat, Watt, what, wot, yacht
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.