Definition of sapele in English:
A large, tropical African hardwood tree with reddish-brown timber that resembles mahogany.
- Genus Entandrophragma, family Meliaceae
- While the ITTO study found that loggers target 35 tree species, just two, gaboon mahogany and sapele mahogany, account for over half of all logged timber.
- All products are made of three types of wood: ash from the US, beech from Germany and sapele from Africa.
- There may be other woods that have as wide a variety of figure as sapele, but I'm not aware of any.
early 20th century: from the name of a port on the Benin River, Nigeria.
Definition of sapele in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan