The cytoplasm of striated muscle cells.
More example sentences
- The changes consisted of disrupted myofibrils, increased numbers of lipid vacuoles in the sarcoplasm, and abnormally small mitochondria containing focal membrane disruptions.
- Measurements of the rotational diffusion coefficient of proteins within muscle cells were also employed to obtain information about the physical properties of sarcoplasm.
- Electron microscopy, however, is essential for diagnosis, demonstrating the rods as electron-dense structures in the sarcoplasm.
late 19th century: from Greek sarx, sark- 'flesh' + plasma.
- More example sentences
- It is this cAMP that activates cAMP-dependent protein kinase, or PKA, that phosphorylates various cardiac ion channels in the sarcolemma and within the sarcoplasmic reticulum.
- Interestingly, in both ventricles myocytes adjacent to the adipose tissue showed multiple sarcoplasmic vacuoles.
- Increased cAMP in vascular smooth muscle causes an increase in ionized calcium uptake by the sarcoplasmic reticulum, leaving little ionized calcium to facilitate contraction and resulting in smooth muscle relaxation.
More definitions of sarcoplasmDefinition of sarcoplasm in:
- The British & World English dictionary