Definition of sarsaparilla in English:
1.1A sweet drink flavored with sarsaparilla.
- The characters are relaxing, enjoying mead, grog, and various other old-timesy type drinks that no one actually drinks anymore like sarsaparilla, sherry, or wine coolers.
- There was the festival's customary unlimited bowling, plenty of oat sodas, sarsaparillas and White Russians.
- And he had a reputation of being a bit of a dandy in college, because, you know, he'd have a glass of sarsaparilla.
2The tropical American climbing plant from which sarsaparilla are generally obtained.
- Genus Smilax, family Liliaceae: several species, in particular S. regelii, which is the chief source of commercial sarsaparilla
- Among the wildflowers are a red columbine, aster, figwort, wild sarsaparilla, fleabane, and avens.
- The seeds of bristly sarsaparilla, currant, and soapberry lie dormant in the soil and germinate only after being burned; ecologists call the process ‘seed banking.’
- China-root came from an Asian plant related to sarsaparilla.
Late 16th century: from Spanish zarzaparilla, from zarza 'bramble' + a diminutive of parra 'vine'.
Words that rhyme with sarsaparillaAnguilla, Aquila, Attila, Camilla, cedilla, chiller, chinchilla, driller, Drusilla, fibrillar, filler, flotilla, fulfiller, Godzilla, gorilla, griller, guerrilla, killer, Manila, manilla, mantilla, miller, pillar, Priscilla, sapodilla, Schiller, scilla, scintilla, spiller, swiller, thriller, tiller, vanilla, vexilla, villa, Willa, willer, zorilla
Definition of sarsaparilla in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.