Definition of sarus crane in English:
A large, red-headed crane found from India to the Philippines.
- Grus antigone, family Gruidae
- The emus are four months old and the sarus crane is six months old.
- Some species pair for life, the most celebrated example being the tall stately sarus crane, which graces the green fields of North India.
- Favoured by brolgas, sarus cranes and black-necked storks, its lagoons were created from excess irrigation water.
mid 19th century: sarus from Sanskrit sārasa.
Definition of sarus crane in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia