Definition of sassafras in English:
1A deciduous North American tree with aromatic leaves and bark. The leaves are infused to make tea or ground into filé.
- Sassafras albidum, family Lauraceae
- Rich hardwoods of myrtle, blackwood, sassafras and Huon pine mingle with common eucalypts.
- The mitten-shaped foliage you sent appears to be that of a sassafras, a small to medium tree with fruit that turns deep blue and is carried on a bright red stalk.
- The dogwood, oak, chestnut, pine, red maple, black locust, sassafras, hickory, willow, cottonwood, and redbud dotted the landscape.
1.1An extract of the leaves or bark of the sassafras, used medicinally or in perfumery.
- Some traditional herbal products display known toxicities (e.g., calamus, comfrey, and sassafras all have been shown to have carcinogenic actions).
- Wormood, pennyroyal, onion, camphor, horseradish, wintergreen, rue, bitter almond and sassafras are some of the essential oils that should only be used by qualified aromatherapy practitioners, if ever at all.
Definition of sassafras in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan