noun (plural same or sawfishes)
A large tropical mainly marine fish related to the rays, with an elongated flattened snout that bears large blunt teeth along each side.
- Family Pristidae: two genera, in particular Pristis, and several species, including the common sawfish (P. pectinata)
More example sentences
- Matthew McDavitt, an anthropologist who studies the importance of animals in culture, said that he's watched people call the sawfish everything from a swordfish to a hammerhead shark.
- While sawfish haven't been fished commercially, they can get lured by lines set for other fish.
- The freshwater sawfish, a ray, is related to stingrays, skates, sharks, and other fishes with cartilaginous skeletons.
More definitions of sawfishDefinition of sawfish in:
- The British & World English dictionary