Definition of sawfish in English:
noun (plural same or sawfishes)
A large tropical mainly marine fish related to the rays, with an elongated flattened snout that bears large blunt teeth along each side.
- Family Pristidae: two genera, in particular Pristis, and several species, including the common sawfish (P. pectinata)
- Matthew McDavitt, an anthropologist who studies the importance of animals in culture, said that he's watched people call the sawfish everything from a swordfish to a hammerhead shark.
- While sawfish haven't been fished commercially, they can get lured by lines set for other fish.
- The freshwater sawfish, a ray, is related to stingrays, skates, sharks, and other fishes with cartilaginous skeletons.
Definition of sawfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan