(also saw grass)
Definition of sawgrass in English:
nounchiefly North American
A sedge with spiny-edged leaves.
- Cladium, family Cyperaceae: two species, in particular the North American C. jamaicensis, which is a dominant plant in the Florida everglades
- Sugar growers use huge amounts of phosphorus-based fertilizer, most of which runs off into the Everglades and promotes the growth of exotic cattails in place of the native sawgrass.
- From its subterranean source, the Wekiva meanders slow and clear past waving sawgrasses and under a moss-draped canopy of oak and laurel and longleaf pine.
- How many times have you missed a duck because you were wondering whether you were standing in crabgrass or sawgrass?
Definition of sawgrass in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan