(also saw grass)
Definition of sawgrass in English:
nounchiefly North American
A sedge with spiny-edged leaves.
- Cladium, family Cyperaceae: two species, in particular the North American C. jamaicensis, which is a dominant plant in the Florida everglades
- Sugar growers use huge amounts of phosphorus-based fertilizer, most of which runs off into the Everglades and promotes the growth of exotic cattails in place of the native sawgrass.
- From its subterranean source, the Wekiva meanders slow and clear past waving sawgrasses and under a moss-draped canopy of oak and laurel and longleaf pine.
- How many times have you missed a duck because you were wondering whether you were standing in crabgrass or sawgrass?
Words that rhyme with sawgrassknotgrass • bluegrass
Definition of sawgrass in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.