- Fasting from dawn until dusk during Ramadan, one of the Five Pillars of Islam.More example sentences
- If we understand what Sawm actually means, it would enable us to consequently develop compassion and care for those who are in need, for those who are desperate, for those who are hungry.
- During the month of Ramadan, Muslims practice Sawm, or fasting, during the hours between sunrise and sunset.
- Sawm is perhaps the most demanding of the Five Pillars. It requires that Muslims fast during the month of Ramadan.
Arabic ṣawm, from ṣama 'abstain from food, drink, and sexual intercourse'.
More definitions of sawmDefinition of sawm in:
- The British & World English dictionary