Definition of scalene in English:
(Of a triangle) having sides unequal in length.
- The most interesting results show, with a very ingenious proof, that an equilateral triangle has a greater area than any isosceles or scalene triangle with the same perimeter.
- The dialogue elaborates an account of the world wherein the four different basic kinds of matter - earth, air, fire, and water - are regular solids composed from plane figures: isosceles and scalene right-angled triangles.
nounBack to top
1 (also scalene muscle) Anatomy another term for scalenus.
- Typically the anterior scalene arises from the fourth, fifth and sixth cervical vertebrae (anterior tubercles), occasionally from the third, and rarely from the seventh.
- It may perforate the middle and posterior scalene muscles; these two muscles usually form a common mass.
- Single motor unit activity in the diaphragm and scalenes was recorded with monopolar electrodes, using methods reported previously.
Mid 17th century: via late Latin from Greek skalēnos 'unequal'; related to skolios 'bent'.
Words that rhyme with scaleneAileen, Raelene
Definition of scalene in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.