1A device for examining, reading, or monitoring something, in particular.
- Merlin checked the readings of a hand scanner that was strapped to his left arm and grunted.
- But the SmartTech scanner detected switches and batteries - some of the earmarks of a suspicious device.
- They use scanners to monitor Garda radio frequencies, are believed to carry out surveillance on Garda stations and communicate with each other via mobile phones and walkie-talkies.
1.1 Medicine A machine that examines the body through the use of radiation, ultrasound, or magnetic resonance imaging, as a diagnostic aid.
- It is superseding most diagnostic endoscopic cholangiopancreatography as faster magnetic resonance imaging scanners become more widely available.
- The animals were imaged in a magnetic resonance scanner during the infusion and 1, 2, 4, and 7 days after infusion.
- The Five Stars Scanner Appeal was launched in 2003 to buy a Magnetic Resonance imaging scanner for the Royal Manchester Children's Hospital at Pendlebury.
1.2 Electronics A device that scans documents and converts them into digital data.
- The rule also affects imports of other devices including mobile phones personal digital assistants, scanners and network cards.
- The scanner allows you to convert the film to digital files and take advantage of the use of software editing, enhancing and publishing.
- Document management technologies include digital imaging, which uses scanners to digitally replicate documents.
Words that rhyme with scannerAlana, Anna, bandanna, banner, Branagh, canna, canner, Diana, fanner, Fermanagh, Guyana, Hannah, Havana, hosanna, Indiana, Joanna, lanner, Louisiana, manna, manner, manor, Montana, nana, planner, Pollyanna, Rosanna, savannah, spanner, Susanna, tanner
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.