1 Botany A long, leafless flower stalk coming directly from a root.
- The eastern populations possessed smaller and fewer leaves and flowering scapes than the western populations.
- In October, the scapes put out flower heads that do not produce seed.
- Rabbits occasionally eat young shoots in the spring, and sometimes bite off flower scapes.
2 Entomology The basal segment of an insect’s antenna, especially when it is enlarged and lengthened (as in a weevil).
- Forelius sp. 1 is apparently an undescribed species, distinguishable from Forelius maccooki by the lack of erect setae on the antennal scapes (S. Cover, personal communication).
- It consists of an end sac, a straight proximal tubule, a short distal tubule, and a raised nephropore, all in the scape of the chelifore.
Definition of scape in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.