Witheringly scornful; severely critical: she launched a scathing attack on the governor
More example sentences
- Speaking ahead of the lecture, the critic launched a scathing attack on the contemporary British art scene dismissing Brit Art as a journalistic invention.
- A Bradford councillor has made a scathing attack on preservationists who are bitterly opposed to the construction of an Aire Valley motorway.
- He launched a scathing attack on both the EU and the Department of Marine in advance of tomorrow's blockade of fishing ports.
devastating, extremely critical, blistering, searing, withering, scorching, fierce, ferocious, savage, severe, stinging, biting, cutting, mordant, trenchant, virulent, caustic, vitriolic, scornful, sharp, bitter, harsh, unsparing
- Example sentences
- Officials have scathingly dismissed the notion that more money will solve Africa's problems as ‘old thinking’.
- Later, he scathingly recalled the reluctance of friends to comment on his book because Moscow had not made its position known.
- Recently she wrote scathingly about people putting themselves at needless risk, causing responsible, hard-working and caring individuals to put their lives in danger in an effort to rescue them.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.