Definition of scaup in English:
A Eurasian, North American, and New Zealand diving duck, the male of which has a black head with a green or purple gloss.
- Genus Aythya, family Anatidae: three species, in particular the widespread (greater) scaup (A. marila), with a black breast and white sides
- The lesser scaup is a lovely duck indeed, one that, on its own merits, should always be a pleasure to spy on a lake or stretch of sea coast.
- There are mallards galore, the males with their metallic green heads and the females a dowdy brown, and busy little black scaups, bobbing like bath toys.
- As the tiny sailor joined the rest of its crew, our eyes were drawn to a small raft of scaup.
Definition of scaup in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan