- A Eurasian, North American, and New Zealand diving duck, the male of which has a black head with a green or purple gloss.
More example sentences
- Genus Aythya, family Anatidae: three species, in particular the widespread (greater) scaup (A. marila), with a black breast and white sides
- The lesser scaup is a lovely duck indeed, one that, on its own merits, should always be a pleasure to spy on a lake or stretch of sea coast.
- There are mallards galore, the males with their metallic green heads and the females a dowdy brown, and busy little black scaups, bobbing like bath toys.
- As the tiny sailor joined the rest of its crew, our eyes were drawn to a small raft of scaup.
late 17th century: Scots variant of Scots and northern English scalp 'mussel bed', a feeding ground of the duck.
More definitions of scaupDefinition of scaup in:
- The British & World English dictionary