Definition of scent mark in English:
noun(also scent marking)
An odoriferous substance containing a pheromone that is deposited by a mammal from a scent gland or in the urine or feces, typically on prominent objects in an area.
- By rubbing a glandular area against a surface such as a tree trunk, a branch, or even another lemur, the animal deposits a scent mark.
- When a bumblebee finds a nectar-rich flower, it tags the blossom with a scent mark, identifying the flower as being worth a return visit.
- In the jungle, where space is fiercely guarded, lions and other predators chalk out their territory using scent marking.
verb(scent-mark) [no object] Back to top
(Of a mammal) deposit a scent mark.
- Some researchers have suggested that kestrels may track voles by homing in on trails that the little rodents have scent-marked with urine.
- High-quality males usually scent-mark at high frequency, constructing a dense and often complex system of marks within their territory or area of dominance.
- The work of Viitala et al. indicated that kestrels utilize UV-visible vole scent-marks to locate areas rich in rodents.
Definition of scent mark in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.