Definition of scent mark in English:
noun(also scent marking)
An odoriferous substance containing a pheromone that is deposited by a mammal from a scent gland or in the urine or feces, typically on prominent objects in an area.
- By rubbing a glandular area against a surface such as a tree trunk, a branch, or even another lemur, the animal deposits a scent mark.
- When a bumblebee finds a nectar-rich flower, it tags the blossom with a scent mark, identifying the flower as being worth a return visit.
- In the jungle, where space is fiercely guarded, lions and other predators chalk out their territory using scent marking.
verb(scent-mark) [no object] Back to top
(Of a mammal) deposit a scent mark.
- Some researchers have suggested that kestrels may track voles by homing in on trails that the little rodents have scent-marked with urine.
- High-quality males usually scent-mark at high frequency, constructing a dense and often complex system of marks within their territory or area of dominance.
- The work of Viitala et al. indicated that kestrels utilize UV-visible vole scent-marks to locate areas rich in rodents.
Definition of scent mark in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia