- A coarse-grained metamorphic rock that consists of layers of different minerals and can be split into thin irregular plates.More example sentences
- Glaciers have deposited shale, slate, schist, and limestone throughout the region.
- The three mountainous areas consist of large cores of igneous rocks (granites and basalts) surrounded by larger areas of metamorphic rocks, mostly schists and gneiss.
- It includes a variety of rocks, such as basalt, granite, gneiss, quartzite, slate, and schist.
late 18th century: from French schiste, via Latin from Greek skhistos 'split', from the base of skhizein 'cleave'.
More definitions of schistDefinition of schist in:
- The British & World English dictionary