A Chinese herb whose berries are credited with various stimulant or medicinal properties. Also called magnolia vine.
- Schisandra chinensis, family Magnoliaceae
More example sentences
- He prescribed a formula of herbs that includes schizandra, silymarin, milk thistle, licorice, dandelion and burdock as well as some Chinese herbs.
- In the absence of cough during the summer months (with of course spleen qi and yin deficiency): add ginseng with schizandra and ophiopogon in equal amounts to rescue the lungs from fire evils.
- Herbs to calm the heart and sedate the spirit and for uprising qi include: oyster shell, dragon bone, magnetite, tortoise shell, fu shen, polygala, zizyphus spinoza, uncaria and schizandra.
mid 19th century: modern Latin, Schisandra, formed as schizo-+ Greek andr-, anēr man, on account of the divided stamens.
Definition of schizandra in:
- The British & World English dictionary