Definition of schizoid in English:
1Denoting or having a personality type characterized by emotional aloofness and solitary habits.
- People with schizoid personality disorder do not have schizophrenia, but it is thought that many of the same risk factors in schizophrenia may be factors causing schizoid personality disorder.
- The distinction is comparable to that between schizophrenia and schizoid personality disorder.
- The need to create a citadel in which to hide from the world is characteristic of people with a schizoid disposition.
1.1 informal (In general use) resembling schizophrenia in having inconsistent or contradictory elements; mad or crazy: it’s a frenzied, schizoid place
More example sentences
- The flip side is the hypocrisy of not admitting the U.S. need for cheap labor, which contradicts its schizoid defensive posture of trying to stem the tide.
- Leave it to them to balance the uproariously bizarre with the mentally disturbed to create a wonderfully schizoid DVD package.
- It's a schizoid record that delighted and confused critics.
nounBack to top
A schizoid person.
- If schizoids were creating the art of modernism, their narcissistic cousins (who, by definition, need to control other people) are creating its social ideas/systems (socialism, fascism, economic planning).
- Here, the softspoken and mentally deficient Ming Ming innocently practices her dancing while also making friends with various other schizoids and lower-functioning inhabitants of the home.
- ‘We're a couple of schizoids aren't we,’ he said at last.
Definition of schizoid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan