Definition of schizoid in English:
1Denoting or having a personality type characterized by emotional aloofness and solitary habits.
- People with schizoid personality disorder do not have schizophrenia, but it is thought that many of the same risk factors in schizophrenia may be factors causing schizoid personality disorder.
- The distinction is comparable to that between schizophrenia and schizoid personality disorder.
- The need to create a citadel in which to hide from the world is characteristic of people with a schizoid disposition.
1.1 informal Having inconsistent or contradictory elements; crazy: it’s a frenzied, schizoid place
More example sentences
- The flip side is the hypocrisy of not admitting the U.S. need for cheap labor, which contradicts its schizoid defensive posture of trying to stem the tide.
- Leave it to them to balance the uproariously bizarre with the mentally disturbed to create a wonderfully schizoid DVD package.
- It's a schizoid record that delighted and confused critics.
nounBack to top
A schizoid person.
- If schizoids were creating the art of modernism, their narcissistic cousins (who, by definition, need to control other people) are creating its social ideas/systems (socialism, fascism, economic planning).
- Here, the softspoken and mentally deficient Ming Ming innocently practices her dancing while also making friends with various other schizoids and lower-functioning inhabitants of the home.
- ‘We're a couple of schizoids aren't we,’ he said at last.
Words that rhyme with schizoidasteroid • factoid • mastoid
Definition of schizoid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.