- The unstressed central vowel (as in a moment ago), represented by the symbol (ə) in the International Phonetic Alphabet.More example sentences
- Although not represented in the conventional alphabet, schwa is the commonest vowel sound in English.
- Of these, 36 have a clear schwa as their vowel.
- In another example, we observed that only 28% of the teachers could correctly identify the sound of a schwa, as represented in the final syllable of the word ‘happen.’
late 19th century: from German, from Hebrew šěwā'.
More definitions of schwaDefinition of schwa in:
- The British & World English dictionary