- A component section of an exoskeleton, especially each of the plates forming the skeleton of an arthropod.More example sentences
- All dorsal sclerites are in close articulation and there are no gaps along cephalic sutures.
- The mineralized chancellorid sclerites located on or immediately under the epidermis were ‘hollow,’ subdivided by thin internal walls, and filled with soft tissues connected to the rest of the animal by restricted basal foramens.
- The animal is likely to have been fairly short and broad to account for the even distribution of sclerite sizes, as an elongate morphology results in a preponderance of large sclerites.
mid 19th century: from Greek sklēros 'hard' + -ite1.
More definitions of scleriteDefinition of sclerite in:
- The British & World English dictionary