1Abnormal hardening of body tissue.
- In MS, myelin is lost in multiple areas, leaving scar tissue called sclerosis.
- The lymph node biopsy showed sclerosis surrounding cellular nodules that contained clusters of large atypical cells admixed with small lymphocytes and numerous eosinophils.
- It exhibited squamous differentiation, sclerosis, and eosinophilia.
1.1 see multiple sclerosis.
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis is a progressive disease affecting both upper and lower motor neurons.
- Other collagen diseases, such as progressive systemic sclerosis and systemic lupus erythematosus, are associated with increased incidence of pneumothorax.
- Among this latter group, there were four patients with rheumatoid arthritis, five with systemic sclerosis, three with systemic lupus erythematosus, five with dermatomyositis, and four with mixed connective tissue disease.
Late Middle English (originally denoting a hard external tumor): via medieval Latin from Greek sklērōsis, from sklēroun 'harden'.
Words that rhyme with sclerosisapotheosis, chlorosis, cirrhosis, diagnosis, halitosis, hypnosis, kenosis, meiosis, metempsychosis, misdiagnosis, mononucleosis, myxomatosis, necrosis, neurosis, osmosis, osteoporosis, prognosis, psittacosis, psychosis, symbiosis, thrombosis, toxoplasmosis, trichinosis, tuberculosis
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of sclerosis in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.