Definition of scops owl in English:
A small owl with distinctive ear tufts, found in Europe, Africa, and Asia.
- Genus Otus, family Strigidae: many species, in particular the widespread Eurasian scops owl (O. scops)
- Minutes later, a faint reply suggests that a pair of Sokoke scops owls have roosted in the distance.
- The shy little Sokoke scops owl lives only in one coastal reserve in Kenya and in a second isolated forest in Tanzania.
- Here too live several unique plants and animals that are found nowhere else on earth - such as the Sokoke scops owl - and endangered species like the African elephant and the Sokoke bushy-tailed mongoose.
Early 18th century: scops from modern Latin Scops (former genus name), from Greek skōps.
Definition of scops owl in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.