- The technique of altering the normal tuning of a stringed instrument to produce particular effects.More example sentences
- In his instrumental music, he was renowned for his use of scordatura, or alternate string tunings.
- The strings of a four-string cello are usually tuned in fifths, but scordatura tunings were used in the baroque era, and so tuning in fifths cannot be taken for granted.
- Some of the tracks here were intensely experimental, featuring the electric keyboard equivalent of scordatura tuning, lush quasi-orchestral Hammond organ backdrops, haunting saxophone and ethereal wordless vocals.
late 19th century: Italian, from scordare 'be out of tune'.
More definitions of scordaturaDefinition of scordatura in:
- The British & World English dictionary