Definition of scoter in English:
noun (plural same or scoters)
A northern diving duck that winters off the coast, the male of which has mainly black plumage.
- Genus Melanitta, family Anatidae: three species
- Sea ducks like scoters and eiders are also divers.
- Below we report the geographic distribution of long-tailed ducks, eiders, scoters, glaucous gulls, and Pacific loons with respect to month and ice cover.
- The Red-Breasted Merganser is also a bold world traveler, plying icy waters where usually only scoters and eiders dare to tread.
late 17th century: of unknown origin.
Definition of scoter in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan