Definition of scoter in English:
noun (plural same or scoters)
A northern diving duck that winters off the coast, the male of which has mainly black plumage.
- Genus Melanitta, family Anatidae: three species
- Sea ducks like scoters and eiders are also divers.
- Below we report the geographic distribution of long-tailed ducks, eiders, scoters, glaucous gulls, and Pacific loons with respect to month and ice cover.
- The Red-Breasted Merganser is also a bold world traveler, plying icy waters where usually only scoters and eiders dare to tread.
Late 17th century: of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with scoterbloater, boater, Botha, Dakota, doter, emoter, floater, gloater, iota, Kota, Minnesota, motor, promoter, quota, rota, rotor, voter
Definition of scoter in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.