Definition of Scots in English:
another term for Scottish. a Scots accent
[Northern variant, originally as Scottis]
More example sentences
- Last week's debate on the incorporation of the European Convention on Human Rights into Scots law may turn out to be a kind of constitutional landmark.
- The only slight cloud on the horizon for retailers is emerging evidence that Scots consumers have delayed their Christmas gift-buying.
- The first minister began a four-day visit to the Olympic games in Athens yesterday to cheer on Scots athletes.
nounBack to top
The form of English used in Scotland.
- In some of his songs, most notably in ‘The Cotter's Saturday Night ’, English and Scots are both used.
- Displaying a hitherto hidden facility for languages, he welcomes delegates in three - English, Gaelic and Scots.
- There are rich poetry and prose traditions in Gaelic, Scots, and Scots-inflected English.
Words that rhyme with ScotsWatts
Definition of Scots in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.