Definition of scouring rush in English:
A horsetail with a very rough, ridged stem, formerly used for scouring and polishing.
- Genus Equisetum, family Equisetaceae, in particular E. hyemale
- Joining these are three scouring rushes (common scouring rush, variegated scouring rush, and water horsetail) and the common, or field, horsetail.
- Dwarf scouring rush is a miniature horsetail only 8 inches tall.
- Equisetum are known as horsetails, foxtails, or scouring rushes - this last name is derived from the fact that Equisetum stores granules of silica within its cells, making it an effective tool for scrubbing pots and polishing wood.
Definition of scouring rush in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India