1A wide-beamed sailing dinghy.
- Near the end of a trip down the Nahanni River in the Northwest Territories 30 years ago, my former wife and I encountered a lone man in a scow.
- When break-up came at the end of May, he floated out the 1500 miles to the Pacific on a scow, and worked his way home stoking coal on a steamship.
- A month later, their wooden scow was found floating right side up at the western end of the Canyon, sans the Hydes.
1.1A flat-bottomed boat with sloping ends used as a lighter and in dredging and other harbor services.
- It is not known how many scows, barges, and other vessels were involved in transporting brownstone.
- Waterways, travelled by steamer and scow, were far more available for transport in this area of the province than in the south.
- Many small wharves were built for the scows which collected the products of the mills.
Mid 17th century: from Dutch schouw 'ferryboat'.
Words that rhyme with scowallow, avow, Bilbao, Bissau, bough, bow, bow-wow, brow, cacao, chow, ciao, cow, dhow, Dow, endow, Foochow, Frau, Hangzhou, Hough, how, Howe, kowtow, Lao, Liao, Macao, Macau, miaow, Mindanao, mow, now, ow, Palau, plough (US plow), pow, prow, row, Slough, sough, sow, Tao, thou, vow, wow, Yangshao
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of scow in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.