- 1Handwriting as distinct from print; written characters: her neat, tidy scriptMore example sentences
- At the same time another form of writing, cursive script, was also being developed.
- Underneath it were the words " Animal Martyr " emblazoned in a flowing, Gothic script.
- Each scroll was labeled along its edge in the flowing script used in most writing.
- 1.1Printed type imitating handwriting.More example sentences
- Neo, installed over the outside bar in the garden of Edison's in Tremont, once spelled the prefix so dear to art historians in letters of radically different scripts.
- Working with no clear plan, he brought in dozens of alphabetic letters in various scripts, sizes and colors.
- The font set features 9 unique, historically accurate script fonts.
- 1.2Writing using a particular alphabet: Russian scriptMore example sentences
- The quality of the Arabic script is quite poor, obviously copied by a Chinese artisan.
- Urdu uses an Arabic script, but Persian vocabulary and Hindi grammatical structure.
- For example, among the 26 nationalities in Yunnan, there are 11 nationalities that formerly used 24 writing scripts.
- 2The written text of a play, movie, or broadcast.More example sentences
- His repertoire includes movies, too, for which he's written successful scripts, and novels, one of which won the Booker Prize.
- His words depressed me to the point where I decided not to pursue script writing, even though I love writing scripts.
- Raw video footage was edited and narration was provided from carefully prepared scripts.
- 2.1 Computing An automated series of instructions carried out in a specific order.More example sentences
- So I decided to write my own Perl script to do the job.
- Learn to read shell scripts and follow their workings.
- One way to do this is to remotely run a simple, undocumented CGI script installed on the drive.
- 2.2 Psychology The social role or behavior appropriate to particular situations that an individual absorbs through cultural influences and association with others.More example sentences
- The men and women did not differ in the duration of their ideal scripts for foreplay.
- Each, in the language of Simon and Gagnon, with a unique ideal sexual script.
- Both partners' ideal scripts and cultural role scripts for foreplay were associated with the performance script for foreplay.
verb[with object] Back to top
- Write a script for (a play, movie, or broadcast).More example sentences
- Now my tightly scripted movie falls apart, and it's improvise from here on out.
- Rarely will you see apparent anarchy and carefully scripted comedy so happily married.
- Documentaries can be as heavily scripted as fictional movies.
flip the script
- • informal , chiefly North American Reverse the usual or existing positions in a situation; do something unexpected or revolutionary: Campbell flips the script on the old beauty-and-the-beast formula she decided to flip the script and ask her boyfriend of eight years to marry herMore example sentences
- Designers at New York Fashion Week flipped the script on Friday, incorporating nighttime glamour into daytime classics/
- Taking their name from the Italian version of the Transformers TV show, this Berlin-based duo are out to flip the script on popular music.
- Season two seems to have started with a bang: they did an admirable job of flipping the script on a lot of the season one stuff.
late Middle English (in the sense 'something written'): shortening of Old French escript, from Latin scriptum, neuter past participle (used as a noun) of scribere 'write'.
- A doctor’s prescription, especially one for narcotic drugs.More example sentences
- ‘It is not about convenience and it's not about saving dollars, it's about the best clinical action of writing a script for a patient,’ she said.
- Go the the doc and get a script for it.
- I was in Australia recently and I had forgotten to get a script made out for my medication.