Definition of scrum in English:
1An ordered formation of players, used to restart play, in which the forwards of a team form up with arms interlocked and heads down, and push forward against a similar group from the opposing side. The ball is thrown into the scrum and the players try to gain possession of it by kicking it backward toward their own side.
- With good restart possession from scrum and line-out they threw everything at a dogged CYM.
- Bees leant Keighley a front row player and uncontested scrums were the order of the day.
- The game was played under veteran's rules, which limit kicking and pushing in scrums in order to ‘even’ the playing field.
1.1 informal , chiefly British A disorderly crowd of people or things: there was quite a scrum of people at the bar
More example sentences
- I guess that was so they didn't disturb the scrum of journalists crowded round a wide-screen telly watching the football.
- At Galashiels station there was a huge crowd and a media scrum as I shook hands with the driver and the provost and boarded the train.
- A huge scrum developed around the vehicles as desperate people tried to get places.
verb (scrums, scrumming, scrummed)[no object] Rugby Back to top
Form or take part in a scrum.
- You can see the difference when they back row is scrumming.
- I grew up in the Cape so I'm used to scrumming in the wet weather so I hope it comes back to me during the match.
- Despite their big away win over the Griffons last Friday, Bulldogs chief coach Kobus van der Merwe said he was far from satisfied with the quality of his team's scrumming and line-outs.
Late 19th century: abbreviation of scrummage.
Words that rhyme with scrumbecome, benumb, Brum, bum, chum, crumb, drum, glum, gum, ho-hum, hum, Kara Kum, lum, mum, numb, plum, plumb, Rhum, rhumb, rum, scum, slum, some, strum, stum, succumb, sum, swum, thrum, thumb, tum, yum-yum
Definition of scrum in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan