Definition of scurvy grass in English:
A small cresslike European plant with fleshy tar-flavored leaves, growing near the sea. It is rich in vitamin C and was formerly eaten, especially by sailors, to prevent scurvy.
- Genus Cochlearia, family Brassicaceae: several species, in particular C. officinalis
- He treated his scorbutic patients with a mixture of plant and vegetable juices made from water cress, brooklime, scurvy grass, all herbs rich in ascorbic acid.
- A line of Alpine cress or maybe Pyrenean scurvy grass ran from an arched mine-level entrance.
- It is a traditional sailor's specific against scurvy, and is one of the various plants called ‘scurvy grass’.
Definition of scurvy grass in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan