Definition of scurvy grass in English:
A small cresslike European plant with fleshy tar-flavored leaves, growing near the sea. It is rich in vitamin C and was formerly eaten, especially by sailors, to prevent scurvy.
- Genus Cochlearia, family Brassicaceae: several species, in particular C. officinalis
- He treated his scorbutic patients with a mixture of plant and vegetable juices made from water cress, brooklime, scurvy grass, all herbs rich in ascorbic acid.
- A line of Alpine cress or maybe Pyrenean scurvy grass ran from an arched mine-level entrance.
- It is a traditional sailor's specific against scurvy, and is one of the various plants called ‘scurvy grass’.
Definition of scurvy grass in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.