Definition of scutch in English:
Dress (fibrous material, especially retted flax) by beating it.
- The account of breaking, scutching and hackling flax, for example, is the clearest and most informative short discussion that I have seen.
- The damn retting, spreading, scutching and finally the sale of the finished product always gave cause for instant celebration.
- Our dinner topics that night included retting, scutching, and hackling.
- Example sentences
- The heads of wheat were fed perpendicular to the drum through a set of convex rollers, such that the drum's scutchers knocked the grain loose.
- The scutcher is somewhat similar to the stripping drum in principle.
Definition of scutch in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia