A common comb jelly with a spherical body bearing two long retractile branching tentacles, typically occurring in swarms.
- Pleurobrachia pileus, class Tentaculata
More example sentences
- The phylum Ctenophora, which includes the ‘comb jellies,’ ‘sea gooseberries,’ and ‘Venus's girdles,’ is not currently considered to be part of the Cnidaria; however, the two are close relatives.
- Despite the fact that the sea gooseberry is gelatinous zooplankton, it looks a lot like a ‘jellyfish’.
- This Sea Gooseberry (aka. ctenophore or comb jelly) was swimming in a small rock pool as the tide fell in the morning after a day of strong winds in the North Sea.
Definition of sea gooseberry in:
- The British & World English dictionary