Definition of sea holly in English:
A spiny-leaved plant of the parsley family, with metallic blue teasel-like flowers, growing in sandy places by the sea and native to Europe.
- Eryngium maritimum, family Umbelliferae. See also eryngium
- Our native sea holly, appropriately called Eryngium maritimum, is a prime example.
- One she often used was the slow germinating silvery sea holly which subsequently became known as ‘Miss Willmott's Ghost’.
- Our charity Christmas cards are now available at the Coastguard Station featuring some fabulous photography of sea holly.
Definition of sea holly in:
- British & World English dictionary