Definition of seagrass in English:
A grasslike plant that lives in or close to the sea, especially eelgrass.
- Genera Cymodocea (family Cymodoceaceae), Zostera (family Zosteraceae), and others
- Autecological studies on seagrasses have documented that seagrass distribution is strongly related to physiology and growth characteristics, including water depth and salinity zonation.
- Some are herbivores, grazing on the filamentous algae covering coral reefs, and a few eat seagrasses and algae on reef flats.
- The nutrient-enriched water causes an explosive growth of tiny plants and animals that coat the leaves of the seagrasses.
Definition of seagrass in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan