Definition of second string in English:
1(In sports) the players who are available to replace or relieve those who start a game: [as modifier]: the second-string quarterback
More example sentences
- The coach was impressed, which I was happy about, and said I would be welcome on the second string for the next game.
- Coaches often insert their second string when the game is in hand.
- Do you know that in China they already have the second string players training for the 2008 Olympics?
2An alternative resource or course of action in case another one fails.
- Apparently he was particularly unhappy about the events of that night - of being second string in Kate's plans.
- Taking a probiotic supplement is like bringing in a second string to protect us from the next competitors.
- Example sentences
- We played the whole year with second-stringers, and we only had eight players.
- The team that did show up, comprised mostly of second-stringers and unripened teen-agers, lost to Hapoel by two goals.
- None of the second-stringers who came on made much of an impact.
Definition of second string in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia