- 1(In sports) the players who are available to replace or relieve those who start a game: [as modifier]: the second-string quarterbackMore example sentences
- The coach was impressed, which I was happy about, and said I would be welcome on the second string for the next game.
- Coaches often insert their second string when the game is in hand.
- Do you know that in China they already have the second string players training for the 2008 Olympics?
- 2An alternative resource or course of action in case another one fails.More example sentences
- Apparently he was particularly unhappy about the events of that night - of being second string in Kate's plans.
- Taking a probiotic supplement is like bringing in a second string to protect us from the next competitors.
- More example sentences
- We played the whole year with second-stringers, and we only had eight players.
- The team that did show up, comprised mostly of second-stringers and unripened teen-agers, lost to Hapoel by two goals.
- None of the second-stringers who came on made much of an impact.
More definitions of second stringDefinition of second string in:
- The British & World English dictionary