1(In the US) the head of the State Department, responsible for foreign affairs.
- Henry Kissinger ran foreign policy under President Nixon, not Secretary of State Rogers.
- Then U.S. Secretary of State Madeline Albright visited Pyongyang in response to Cho's trip to Washington.
- That includes his Secretary of State, Colin Powell, who has been presented as a restraining influence on Bush.
2(In the UK) the head of a major government department.
- The Claimant in this claim for judicial review is the Secretary of State for the Home Department.
- It is the Secretary of State's policy that the power to sanction should not be exercised too widely.
- Copies are also being sent to Bexley Council and the Secretary of State for Transport.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: sec·re·tar·y of state
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.