- The administering of a sedative drug to produce a state of calm or sleep: he was distraught with grief and under sedationMore example sentences
- The nurse or anesthesia care provider may administer preoperative sedation at this time, if needed, to decrease anxiety.
- If the patient exhibits anxiety, medications for sedation also can be administered after the consent is signed.
- They kept me in a medical coma under sedation, so I have no recollection of that time.
mid 16th century: from French sédation or Latin sedatio(n-), from sedare 'settle' (see sedate1).
More definitions of sedationDefinition of sedation in:
- The British & World English dictionary