Definition of sei whale in English:
A small rorqual with dark steely-gray skin and white grooves on the belly.
- Balaenoptera borealis, family Balaenopteridae
- Fairly secretive visitors among the larger rorquals are the fin whale and its slightly smaller cousin, the sei whale.
- Stone said she was dismayed by news suggesting the Japanese government not only wants to increase its take of minke whales, but that Japan now intends to expand its operations to hunt the endangered sei whale in the North Pacific.
- Likewise, the lungs of large whales including fin whales and sei whales and pilot whales show evidence of progressive alveolar collapse in response to increased hydrostatic pressure.
early 20th century: from Norwegian sejhval.
Definition of sei whale in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia