Definition of selachian in English:
An elasmobranch fish of a group that comprises the sharks and dogfishes.
- Those produced by the hypochordal lobe of the caudal fin of selachians and early bony fishes have been studied in detail.
- Fish included many elasmobranchs as well as osteichthyes such as palaeoniscoids, dipnoi, selachians, and crossopterygians, together with the ancient acanthodians.
- Lack of neural spine is consistent with selachians (a group of vertebrates which includes sharks and rays).
adjectiveBack to top
Of or relating to the selachians.
- The A. alatus specimens were collected from tuffaceous fine-grained sandstones that overlay the very fossiliferous yellowish tuffs containing abundant remains of bivalves, echinoids, whale vertebrae, and selachian teeth.
Definition of selachian in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan