- 1The action or fact of carefully choosing someone or something as being the best or most suitable: such men decided the selection of candidates they objected to his selectionMore example sentences
- Rules and procedures relating to selection of candidates were implemented and observed fully by members of the Election Task Force of the Green Party.
- It was a first-class test of analysis, selection and integration which demonstrated a student's ability to think clearly before making a judgment.
- Standard procedures for candidate selection and nomination often have to be adapted to local conditions.
- 1.1A number of carefully chosen things: the publication of a selection of his poemsMore example sentences
- The second surprise comes in the chosen selections.
- To help our readers get in where they fit in, we've chosen nonfiction selections that look both back to our past, and forward to our future.
- Fans who turn out for the premiere will be treated to the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra playing selections from John Williams' scores for the Star Wars movies.
- 1.2A range of things from which a choice may be made: the restaurant offers a wide selection of hot and cold dishesMore example sentences
- A wide selection of vegetables ranges from the familiar to the less so.
- By varying the components of the gel, Mentor is able to produce a wide selection of products ranging from a very soft to a very firm consistency.
- ‘You need a good selection for a wide range of suitable purposes,’ he said.
- 1.3A horse or horses tipped as worth bets in a race or meeting.More example sentences
- Previously, the selection won a conditions race very easily over three miles at Gowran Park and dropping down four furlongs in trip and going left-handed are in his favour.
- Distinctive Dream is the selection in the feature race at Ripon, the £10,000 Tote Trifecta Sprint Handicap.
- With 7 tipsters for 8 races they would regularly average between 7 and 12 winning selections.
- 1.4Data highlighted on a computer screen for a particular operation: your selection may not contain two different data typesMore example sentences
- When I return to the main category menu, the previous selection should stay highlighted, making it easier to select the next video profile.
- As you move your mouse over the drop down menu, each selection is highlighted.
- Expand the selection 4 pixels and make the selection a work path.
- 2 Biology A process in which environmental or genetic influences determine which types of organism thrive better than others, regarded as a factor in evolution. See also natural selection.More example sentences
- Positive directional selection was detected for most of the internal branches harboring an accelerated rate of evolution.
- The fixation of weakly selected mutations can be greatly influenced by strong directional selection at linked loci.
- A positive coefficient indicates that directional selection is acting to increase that trait.
early 17th century: from Latin selectio(n-), from seligere 'select by separating off' (see select).