- Renouncing or rejecting one’s own interests or needs: a loving and self-abnegating motherMore example sentences
- The Mother is either idealized, as in the myths of the nurturing, ever-present but self-abnegating figure, or disparaged, as in the corollary myth of the sadistic, neglectful Mother who puts her needs first.
- Alice gave up her next twenty years in the self-abnegating spirit that was always characteristic of her.
- It's great to see the self-abnegating Cathy acquire self-confidence, but it's a shame she isn't given a bit more justification for that confidence.
More definitions of self-abnegatingDefinition of self-abnegating in:
- The British & World English dictionary