Definition of self-aggrandizement in English:
The action or process of promoting oneself as being powerful or important.
- Without a foundation of love, these gifts risk promoting self-gain and self-aggrandizement.
- I suppose we could be accused of self-aggrandisement by pointing out that this is more cash per head of population than almost any other country on earth, but it is nevertheless heartening.
- Their three outstanding attitudes - obliviousness to the growing disaffection of constituents, primacy of self-aggrandizement, illusion of invulnerable status - are persistent aspects of folly.
- Example sentences
- I would love to meet the self-aggrandizing, pompous, and omniscient souls who prostitute their talent designing the heartbreakingly ugly strip malls, supermarkets, and drugstores that have taken over every city I visit.
- When dealing with masters of spin, hypocrites, manipulators, power brokers and self-aggrandizing media moguls I have a little difficulty concentrating on their speeches while blissfully ignoring their motivations.
- He always ducks the obvious, loud, self-aggrandizing statement in favor of the quiet, inquisitive, other-focused, elusively self-concealing statement.
Definition of self-aggrandizement in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan