Definition of self-aggrandizement in English:
The action or process of promoting oneself as being powerful or important.
- Without a foundation of love, these gifts risk promoting self-gain and self-aggrandizement.
- I suppose we could be accused of self-aggrandisement by pointing out that this is more cash per head of population than almost any other country on earth, but it is nevertheless heartening.
- Their three outstanding attitudes - obliviousness to the growing disaffection of constituents, primacy of self-aggrandizement, illusion of invulnerable status - are persistent aspects of folly.
- Example sentences
- I would love to meet the self-aggrandizing, pompous, and omniscient souls who prostitute their talent designing the heartbreakingly ugly strip malls, supermarkets, and drugstores that have taken over every city I visit.
- When dealing with masters of spin, hypocrites, manipulators, power brokers and self-aggrandizing media moguls I have a little difficulty concentrating on their speeches while blissfully ignoring their motivations.
- He always ducks the obvious, loud, self-aggrandizing statement in favor of the quiet, inquisitive, other-focused, elusively self-concealing statement.
Definition of self-aggrandizement in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.