Definition of self-denial in English:
The denial of one’s own interests and needs; self-sacrifice.
- Our vows are not of celibacy or self-denial, but of temperance and self-moderation.
- No one denies self-denial and noble altruism are generative of a host of spiritual benefits.
- A real person has to go through so much self-denial to fulfil this idealised image.
- Example sentences
- The two figures, one highly individualised, dedicated to self-assertion and pleasure-seeking, the other ascetic and self-denying, are sharply contrasted.
- The doctrine would only be followed by the prudent and self-denying.
- Can a profit-driven, self-denying lawyer be a good lawyer?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan