Definition of self-determination in English:
1The process by which a country determines its own statehood and forms its own allegiances and government: the changes cannot be made until the country’s right to self-determination is recognized
More example sentences
- Broadly speaking, they see their struggle as part of the still unfulfilled quest for self-determination and for genuine sovereignty.
- Many people from across the spectrum sacrificed for the goal of self-determination and the independence of Namibia.
- Aboriginal sovereignty and self-determination are key ideas for you.
1.1The process by which a person controls their own life.
- It is in the exercise of self-determination that we maintain some control over, and take responsibility for, our lives and for what we will become.
- Autonomy is about self-determination, being free from external influences and governed by one's own mind.
- The concepts inherent in this right are the bedrock upon which the principles of self-determination and individual autonomy are based.
Definition of self-determination in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan