1The process by which a country determines its own statehood and forms its own allegiances and government: the changes cannot be made until the country’s right to self-determination is recognized
More example sentences
- Broadly speaking, they see their struggle as part of the still unfulfilled quest for self-determination and for genuine sovereignty.
- Many people from across the spectrum sacrificed for the goal of self-determination and the independence of Namibia.
- Aboriginal sovereignty and self-determination are key ideas for you.
1.1The process by which a person controls their own life.
- It is in the exercise of self-determination that we maintain some control over, and take responsibility for, our lives and for what we will become.
- Autonomy is about self-determination, being free from external influences and governed by one's own mind.
- The concepts inherent in this right are the bedrock upon which the principles of self-determination and individual autonomy are based.
Definition of self-determination in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.