1Relating to or denoting something that limits itself, in particular.
- The reason that the minimum wage is problematic is that it is also self-limiting, only because companies can't pay employees less than the minimum wage, what generally gets limited is the number of jobs.
- Instead of being self-limiting, the old-style colloquial schoolboy language used gives an intensity of expression in a simple and precise way.
- Press baron demagoguery, however unfair, reflected the biases and passions of specific men, and was thus self-limiting.
1.1 (also self-limited) Medicine (Of a condition) ultimately resolving itself without treatment.
- Neuroleptic malignant syndrome is a self-limiting condition once the offending agent has been discontinued.
- No one explained to them the scientific and practical gains that might come from knowing more about the self-limiting and self-correcting nature of syphilis so as to be able to evaluate the power of early therapeutic interventions.
- A spokesperson said the virus seemed to be self-limiting and the student suspected of having meningitis underwent the full range of laboratory tests for the illness.
Definition of self-limiting in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.