The process of keeping order or maintaining control within a community without accountability or reference to an external authority.
- Abuses like the torture and humiliation of prisoners will be left to the military authorities' self-policing.
- This has lead to a situation of self-policing within the industry.
- In response to instances like this, a kind of de facto self-policing within the Indian literary community has developed.
(Of a community) independently responsible for keeping and maintaining order: as long as the Internet community was relatively small, it could be self-policing
More example sentences
- Seattle's Tent City is a self-policing community that allows its residents to live safely, and enables them to work by giving them a stable place to house their belongings.
- Then came regulation, as self-policing network standards-and-practices divisions responded to FCC rules.
- They're anarchists in the sense that they have a perception that they should be self-policing and self-controlling, and in effect self-defining.
Definition of self-policing in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.