Definition of self-policing in English:
The process of keeping order or maintaining control within a community without accountability or reference to an external authority.
- Abuses like the torture and humiliation of prisoners will be left to the military authorities' self-policing.
- This has lead to a situation of self-policing within the industry.
- In response to instances like this, a kind of de facto self-policing within the Indian literary community has developed.
adjectiveBack to top
(Of a community) independently responsible for keeping and maintaining order: as long as the Internet community was relatively small, it could be self-policing
More example sentences
- Seattle's Tent City is a self-policing community that allows its residents to live safely, and enables them to work by giving them a stable place to house their belongings.
- Then came regulation, as self-policing network standards-and-practices divisions responded to FCC rules.
- They're anarchists in the sense that they have a perception that they should be self-policing and self-controlling, and in effect self-defining.
Definition of self-policing in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan